I am a stand-in professor of syntax at the English Linguistics Department of the University of Göttingen (Germany), replacing Hedde Zeijlstra in 2017-2019. Before that, I was a postdoc in the Graduiertenkolleg Nominal Modification at the University of Frankfurt and a member of the formal semantics group (⇢ Thomas Ede Zimmermann). Still earlier, I worked at the University of Vienna (⇢ Katharina Hartmann) and at the Institute of Cognitive Science at the University of Osnabrück (⇢ Peter Bosch). You can download my full CV here.
In 2015, I defended my PhD thesis on the syntax and semantics of adjectival and adverbial manner modification, which has been supervised by Peter Bosch at the University of Osnabrück (committee members: Peter Bosch, Louise McNally, Roberto Zamparelli, Hedde Zeijlstra). The thesis can be downloaded here.
My work lies at the interface of syntax and semantics of natural languages, and I am also interested in linguistic typology. Somewhat more specifically, the domains I have worked on include event semantics (quantification in event semantics, manner modification, habituality), categorial status of adjectives and adverbs cross-linguistically, constraints on linearization (particularly within the nominal phrase), semantics of gradability, case and agreement, morphosyntax and semantics of nominalizations. For written work on some of these topics, see research.
- syntax and semantics of agent- and theme-oriented manner adjectives in English
(in preparation for NLLT)
- quantification in event semantics: generalized-quantifiers vs. sub-events analysis
(SuB 22 paper)
- a cross-linguistic analysis of the Head-Final Constraint on modifiers
(with Hedde Zeijlstra)
- structure and interpretation of nominalized infinitives in Italian
(with Roberto Zamparelli)
- syntax and semantics of invariable adjectives in Spanish and English
(with Antonio Fábregas: submitted to JL; CGG 26 handout)
Recent and upcoming:
- May 2018 poster on the modeling of habituality in event semantics at SALT 28 at MIT
- Jun 2018 talk on HFF at the Syntax and Language Variation workshop in Utrecht (with Hedde Zeijlstra)
- Jul 2018 my SuB 22 paper on quantification in event semantics is available online
- Sep/Oct 2018 research stay at the MIT Department of Linguistics (host: Danny Fox)